Prof. Issouf Soumaré, Ph.D., ISE, PRM, FRM, ASC
- Professor of Finance
- Director of the Laboratory for Financial Engineering of Université Laval
- Director of International Relations of the Faculty of Business Administration of Université Laval
- Academic advisor for the graduate programs in finance & real estate (MBA & MSc)
- Department of Finance, Insurance & Real Estate
- Faculty of Business Administration
- Co-Promotor and Co-President of the Pan-African Institute on Economic and Financial Governance
- President of the Scientific Council of the Higher School of Statistics and Applied Economics (ENSEA) – African Excellence Centre of the World Bank, Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, since June 2017.
- Vice-President Program and Board member of the Africa Business and Entrepreneurship Research Society (ABERS), since April 2015.
- Resource Person at theAfrican Economic Research Consortium(AERC) in “Group C: Finance and resources mobilization”, Nairobi, Kenya, since December 2013.
- Co-Founder and Co-President of CESS Institute
Summary of qualifications
Prof. Issouf SOUMARÉ is a financial economist, with more than 20 years of experience, specialized in financial engineering, international finance and risk management. He regularly provides advisory services and capacity building seminars for public and private administrations in Africa.
Dr. SOUMARÉ is Full Professor of Financeand the Director of International Relationsof the Faculty of Business Administration at Université Laval in Canada. He is also the Director of the Laboratory for Financial Engineering of Université Laval. He is the University’s academic advisor for the MSc and MBA programs in finance and real estate. In 2011-2012, he was the Director of the PhD and MSc research programs of the Business School. He worked for the African Development Bank(ADB) at the former Risk Management Unit from 1996 to 1998. He is a Resource Personfor the African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) since December 2013. He is also part of the consortium of researchers on the “DFID-ESRC Growth Research Programme Call 3: ESRC Ref. ES/N013344/1; Research Project: Delivering Inclusive Financial Development & Growth in Africa (Consortium led by Prof. Victor Murinde, SOAS University of London, UK, 2016-2021).”
Prof. SOUMARÉ is co-author of two best-selling books in risk management and financial engineering: “Simulations stochastiques et applications en finance avec programmes Matlab” published by Economica and “Stochastic Simulation and Applications in Finance with Matlab Programs” published by Wiley. Also, his theoretical and applied financial economics works have been published in leading international economics and finance journals and presented at international conferences around the world.
Prof. SOUMARÉ has visited various countries during his professional activities, including: Belgium, Benin, Burkina Faso, Canada, China, Côte d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, France, Ghana, Guinea, Ireland, Kenya, Mali, Morocco, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Tunisia, Thailand, Uganda, United Kingdom, USA and Zambia.
Prof. SOUMARÉ holds a PhD in Business Administration in Financefrom the University of British Columbia(UBC, Canada), MSc in Financial Engineeringfrom Université Laval(Canada), MSc in Statistics and Quantitative Economics(Ingénieur Statisticien Économiste) from ENSEAand MSc & BSc in Applied Mathematicsfrom Université Félix Houphouët-Boigny(Côte d’Ivoire). Prof. SOUMARÉ is also a certified PRM(Professional Risk Manager) and FRM(Financial Risk Manager). He is ASC(Chartered Director) from the College des Administrateurs de Sociétés(Directors’ College) of Université Laval. He is bilingual in both French and English.